Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Great Day To Be Alive

I actually didn't drink last night. I know! I watched a bunch of television, checked out a couple movies, played a respectable amount of freecell and solitaire, and, at the end of the night, got in bed and began a book. The problem with someone in my position not drinking is that you can't settle in to read the meanderings of an alcoholic writer and expect to not drink. I stuck with it for awhile, but by eight in the morning I couldn't take it anymore. Having not slept yet I cracked my first brew at a quarter after. Now I'm writing to you. I figure I'll imbibe leisurely until I'm tired enough to pass out. Hopefully that works.

Update: It's 10:47 and I've officially ran out of alcohol. Just returned from an adventure to purchase some beer and wine. Only problem is the damn store isn't open yet. Man, what does a brother have to do to get his drink on?!? Jesus give me strength! It appears this is the end of the road. Goodnight I guess.

Update Redux: It's 12:41pm and I HAVE PERSEVERED! I planned on throwing in the towel, sadly, after my failed expedition to the liquor store. However, when all seemed lost I stumbled upon some rum my roommate had stashed away. Well, desperate times call for desperate measures. I drank that shit. Fuck him anyway; he'll likely understand I need this. His Captain subsided me until the liquor store opened. I watched pre-recorded Jeopardy to pass the time. It was unfruitful, academically.

Noon passed and I made my triumphant return to the liquor store. I enjoy being out in public intoxicated and still awake from the night before. You walk amongst the savages and chuckle to yourself over your dirty little secret. It's one of the only situations in which I feel comfortable in my own skin. Anyway, I bought a six-pack and a bottle of Beaujolais. this should last me at least until I'm able to go to sleep, reawaken, and return to Yash Liquors.

On a side note, I had much difficulty completing my liquor store task. Nothing due to a lack of brain cells, mind you. I'm used to that. It's because I had no contacts in. I usually only wear my glasses at night, but my eyes have been bothering me the past few days. Now, I don't have a problem wearing my glasses out. This isn't a vanity issue. The problem is that I've had the same pair for at least ten years. They're mangled, crooked, and most importantly, missing the horizontal piece that curls around your ear on one side (what is that called? It's not coming to me). And that, combined with my drunkenness among common folk is just too much to handle. So I went to the store without them. I guess it wasn't that much of a problem, but man, I'd be really interested to have a camera crew follow me around in these situations. I must have been deciding on wine and beer with my face an inch from the bottle. What the guy behind the counter must have thought...

So that's my story. At least so far, anyway. I doubt I'll post again today but who knows. And by the way, I know the Top 5 Hangovers piece I promised is overdue. It's still pending. I have a hard time concentrating most of the time, especially when something becomes a bonafide deadline. Also, I haven't been drinking much the past couple weeks, believe it or not. You all know by now that I can only do this shit (or anything) drunk, so bear with me. Cheers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've found that by relaying drunk stories through blog or otherwise you change what would normally be called a 'problem' into an 'adventure'. Keep up the good work. Continuously amused.

Anonymous said...

The secret joke of being drunk amongst the general population is hilarious. I often feel that way when I drink at happy hour after work then return back to the school to watch my high schools football games. I'm drunk and my students have no idea. It's my own little secret. I cannot wait to read the top 5 stories.

Anonymous said...

The secret joke of being drunk amongst the general population is hilarious. I often feel that way when I drink at happy hour after work then return back to the school to watch my high schools football games. I'm drunk and my students have no idea. It's my own little secret. I cannot wait to read the top 5 stories.

Justin said...

Rebba: you should look to using an alias when posting on this site. You know how people are - damn Religious Right! They'd have a fit if they new a teacher had a couple drinks and then had the audacity to be within 500 yards of students. What tightasses...they ruin everything!!! Is my bitterness towards organized religion obvious? I think I hide it pretty well.

Anonymous said...

True. Can you delete post?

Chris Hampton said...

Me, I never drink in public. That would be wrong. That's why I get drunk the RIGHT way - alone and in the dark...